I have a confession to make. We actually got a contract on our house A FEW WEEKS ago. It was completely unexpected and I WAS NOT ready for it. I had several ideas I wanted to blog about and we were very surprised at how quickly it happened. We didn’t even get the house on the market and we definitely weren’t ready to show it. I was in the middle of removing wallpaper from the master bathroom, and had an extreme mess on my hands when the buyers first wanted to see it.
I was personally ready to sell our house three or four years ago.Tim, on the other hand, was not. I prayed that God would change his mind. It has been too much to upkeep and I really was growing tired of the homeowner’s association. When we calculated how much money it cost to maintain the house, we knew a smaller house would be a much better use of our money. We loved the lake though, and that was what was keeping us here.
When my youngest son, Jordan, had the opportunity to play basketball with the number one high school basketball team in the state, Tim was getting excited. The coach had seen Jordan play over the summer and liked what he saw.
(Isn’t this an amazing action shot? My cousin, Bob, took it. Thanks, Bob.)
I still home school Jordan, but we found that if we live in a particular school district and he takes ONE class on campus, he is eligible to play sports for the school. The only problem was we were in the wrong district. Tim was finally on board with a mission to find a home in our desired school district, and hopefully one that had a lake.
We decided to sell our home the first part of July. We knew we had some delayed maintenance items to deal with so we started working away at them. A few weeks later, Tim mentioned to one of the neighbors that we were going to put our house on the market and if he knew of anyone, to let us know. The next day, we got a call about an interested party. We stalled for a week while I finished the bathroom.
I was thinking that this was God’s way of helping me prioritize what really needed to be done because I have a tendency, (and so does Tim) to get bogged down with details that really won’t affect the end result. I took this scheduled showing as an answer to prayer; that we would know when the house was “good enough” to show. THAT WAS THE EXTENT OF MY EXPECTATIONS!
They liked the house and we were able to come to agreeable terms. The only catch was they wanted 90 days before closing so they could have a better chance of selling their home. We weren’t sure how this would affect Jordan and school.
At the same time, an acquaintance of Tim’s decided he was ready to sell his house. I wasn’t too crazy about the house but Tim loved the fact that it had a decent sized lake. I had my Realtor friend, Paula, try to find something different, but Tim was set on this house and it was in the right school district. We ended up signing a contract on it a few days after we sold ours.
Since we were now under contract in the right school district, Jordan was able to start his one class at school 2 days later.
Talk about perfect timing. God definitely had His hand on this and has continued to open doors that we haven’t expected to be opened.
On a side note-we just found out that our buyers sold their house and want to move up the closing by 30 days. That means we only have a few weeks to pack. I better get busy!