You all know from my last post how I am struggling with the function of my kitchen. I have found that the kitchen is very, very chopped up. It is hard to work in there. I know part of it is just a matter of getting used to it, but I am still struggling with overall function. I want to find a way to add more counter space and cabinet space.
After living with it for several weeks and brainstorming about different ways to increase usability, we have finally come up with some ideas.
Our goals are:
- More storage
- More counter space
- More room for dining
Here is a rough layout of the kitchen & laundry room now-(I found this wonderful free program on the internet that lets you try out different furniture configurations in your room.) It doesn’t do kitchen cabinets, but it does countertops. Anyway, you’ll get the idea when you see it.
Other issues we have been having are a tiny laundry room-a couple of laundry baskets on the floor and I can hardly move. I’d like to get a little more counter space and storage in there. The bathroom is a great idea but you have to maneuver around three doors. It is just plain awkward. My original thoughts were to eliminate the bathroom all together and add storage there.
Tim really likes the idea of a bathroom close to the garage. We discovered, once we unloaded the majority of our boxes, that our garage is very deep. We got to thinking that we could bump out the laundry room into the garage and still keep a bathroom. So this is what we are planning to do.
- Take out the corner pantry and put in cabinets with counter space below. (I’d rather have more counter space and I don’t think I will lose that much storage if any at all by doing this.)
- Move the refrigerator to the wall closest to the living room.
- Move the range to where the refrigerator is at right now.
- Wrap the kitchen into the area where the bathroom currently is located.
- Straighten out the island and add an extra cabinet.
- Remove the wall completely between the kitchen and living room to open it up.
- Make a niche for a buffet type piece of furniture in the dining area.
- Move the bathroom to where the washer and dryer are currently positioned.
- Bump out into the garage for washer/dryer and mudroom type area.
Quite a wish list!
Here are our proposed changes:
The new laundry area is still being planned out. Not sure if this will be the finally layout of that area, but we are certain of the kitchen layout. We will have continuous counter space from the refrigerator clear around the corner. I think the space will feel a lot bigger and much more open.